Macbeth (Shakespeare, Signet Classic) (Mass Market)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
A man's thirst for power ends in tragedy in this Signet Classics edition of one of William Shakespeare's most powerful works.
When a trio of witches foretell that Macbeth will become King of Scotland, the brave general is consumed by ambition. Encouraged by his wife to seize the throne, their quest for power leads down a blood-strewn path that ends in madness and death in this play that explores the consequences of guilt and corruption.
This title in the Signet Classics Shakespeare series includes:
• An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, Sylvan Barnet
• Selections from Raphael Holinshed's The Chronicles of England, Scotland, and Ireland, the source from which Shakespeare derived Macbeth
• Dramatic criticism from A. C. Bradley, Elmer Edgar Stoll, Mary McCarthy, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions of Macbeth
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable format
• Recommended readings
About the Author
William Shakespeare (1564–1616) was a poet, playwright, and actor who is widely regarded as one of the most influential writers in the history of the English language. Often referred to as the Bard of Avon, Shakespeare's vast body of work includes comedic, tragic, and historical plays; poems; and 154 sonnets. His dramatic works have been translated into every major language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.